The members of the International Private Client Group at Henderson, Caverly, Pum & Trytten LLP advise clients with international concerns, interests and holdings, with a focus on U.S. citizens, non-U.S. citizens and multinational families with property and rights in multiple jurisdictions. Led by M. Katharine Davidson, with Shirley L. Kovar and Clancy Wilson, the International Private Client Group offers decades of experience in planning for complex cross-border trust and estate planning, tax, transactional and litigation matters. As international matters often require the marshaling and coordination of foreign resources in assessing risk and developing strategies, we are proud of our network of advisors throughout the world, which includes accountants, attorneys, financial planners, trust companies, fiduciaries and a host of other professionals.
We assist our clients with the following:
- Developing estate plans that address issues faced by multinational families and facilitate the orderly and tax-efficient transfer of worldwide property.
- Assisting clients who plan to immigrate to the U.S.
- Planning for foreign clients who acquire property in the U.S.
- Addressing the needs of families with family members who live in different countries.
- Planning for clients regarding matrimonial regimes.
- Preparing qualified domestic trusts for non-U.S. citizen spouses.
- Advising fiduciaries or beneficiaries on administration issues arising from cross-border estates.
- Structuring cross-border businesses and their operations.
- Advising clients in preparation for employment relocation abroad.
- Assisting U.S. and non-U.S. clients in complying with their U.S. tax and reporting obligations related to their cross-border interests and holdings.
- Assisting clients who wish to make gifts to persons in another country.
- Helping trustees and other fiduciaries fulfill their duties, especially when multijurisdictional issues arise (tax and reporting issues, minimizing the global tax burden, addressing conflicting interests, and preventing and managing disputes).
- Assisting families with cross-border philanthropy.
- Planning for clients who wish to expatriate from the U.S. and related tax reporting.
- Responding to audits from domestic tax authorities.
- Assisting clients entering voluntary disclosure initiatives.
- Advising U.S. clients who wish to invest in foreign jurisdictions.
- Income and estate tax treaty analysis.
- Advising family offices who serve global families.
- Advising clients in relation to family governance and business succession issues.
We also advise our clients on the following litigation matters:
- Providing consulting services that help clients prevent and handle disputes such as marital dissolutions, tax controversies, trust and estate litigation.
- Resolution of trust and estate disputes with international beneficiaries and fiduciaries.
- Assisting families in dealing with conflict and communication issues.