Richard V. Hyatt is a Family Law partner with Henderson, Caverly, Pum & Trytten LLP. Mr. Hyatt is an accomplished trial attorney who has practiced Family Law for more than 35 years and is a California State Bar Board of Specialization Certified Specialist in Family Law. Mr. Hyatt has represented local professionals, business owners, military officers, financially independent individuals and persons from all walks of life.
Mr. Hyatt earned his undergraduate degree from San Diego State University in 1969. Before attending law school, Mr. Hyatt served two years in the United States Army as a medical corpsman. As a hospital corpsman he spent a tour of duty in Vietnam during 1970 - 1971. Upon completion of his military service, he continued his studies at Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego. He received his Juris Doctor degree in 1975. He was admitted to practice in all California state courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Southern District of California in 1976.
Mr. Hyatt has devoted his practice to family law matters since his admission to the bar in 1976. He became a Certified Family Law Specialist in 1991. In 2003, he was inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and in 2014 in the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. His fellow lawyers and Judicial officers have recognized his excellence in the challenging field of Family Law. He has received recognition and numerous awards from local and national legal organizations. He has achieved the highest possible rating (AV Preeminent) from the Martindale-Hubbell national directory of attorneys; named to Super Lawyers and San Diego Top Attorneys.
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2014
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2003-present
- American Bar Association
- Certified Specialist in Family Law, State Board of Legal Specialization, State Bar of California, 1991-present
- North San Diego County Bar Association-Chairman, Family Law Section, 1993-1994; Board of Directors, 1996-1998
- San Diego County Bar Association Certified Family Law Specialist Committee 1991-present; Executive Committee, 1999-2001
- Judge Pro Tempore, Family Law, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego, 1989-2000
- Settlement Conference Judge, Family Law, Superior Court of California, County of San Diego, 1988-present
- Special master, Family Law Matters, 1998
- San Diego County Bar Association, Fee Arbitration Panel Member, 1995-Present
Honors & Awards
- San Diego Top Attorneys
- Southern California Super Lawyers
- Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, Matindale-Hubbell